PADI AWARE Fish
Click for Schedule and Availability
Who should take this course? (precourses needed etc)
- “What was that fish?” is a common question heard after a dive. If you want to be the scuba diver with the answers, instead of the one asking the questions, then take the AWARE – Fish Identification Specialty course. You’ll enjoy your dives even more when you recognize the creatures that you see and can identify the main fish families and their characteristics.
- Classroom 4 - 6 hours. Must complete 2 open water dives.
What will you learn? (Details of course)
- Once you learn to recognize what types of fish you see, you’ll find it easier to reference the exact species after a scuba dive. For example, a butterfly fish in the Caribbean has a similar shape to a butterfly fish in Southeast Asia, but colors and markings may be wildly different. If you know what fish family it belongs to, you can more easily look up the local name or at least be able to intelligently ask the local scuba instructor what you saw. During two scuba dives, you’ll learn:
- How to identify characteristics of local fish families and species.
- Fish survey techniques and strategies.
- About Project AWARE activities that can help protect aquatic life.
What extra will you need? (needed and provided)
- You’ll want a slate to record what you see and a fish identification card.
Next Step (sign up details, forms, etc)
- Sign up Online, Call Scuba Monkey or Blue Lagoon (352-518-6323)
- Reservations are only held when paid in full, $25 dollar rescheduling fee if start day is with 2 weeks,
- You will need to have a Medical release signed by a doctor if "Yes" in indicated on any line items.